Asbestos and hazardous materials surveys
Important information for the users of premises/residents before the research
• Make sure your door is not security locked on the day of the research.
• Storage rooms are free to access. This will be checked beforehand and we will notify you whether the access is necessary. Residents should not leave the doors unlocked.
• Make sure that your pets are not creating any danger to our researchers. Please, inform us in advance about the pets you have. If we hear a sound of an animal behind the door and we do not know whether it is safely placed to another room, we will not enter the premises.
• If you want the research to be done at the specific timeframe, please, let our researchers know about it in advance. We will always try to satisfy your needs.
• It’s not necessary for the residents to be present during the research, but it is allowed to be there.
During the asbestos and hazardous materials research we will check specified areas agreed in advance. Before the work is conducted, we will check the history of the researched object, as well as prior research, which was previously carried and keep it up-to-date. We write work assignment documents depending on what sort of job is to be done. The research may be done just for a part of a building or for the whole building. Usually the research is done before any demolition or repair works. The research is based on the documents and information gathered from premises. From those materials that cannot be recognised or suspected to contain asbestos or other hazardous materials, we will take samples for analysis.
Asbestos-containing material can be interpreted as a substance containing more than 1% of its on weight. Other harmful substances have their own limit values, which are generally measured in mg / kg. If the limits of the sample are exceeded, each hazardous material has its own RT-card which will tell how to proceed. This way demolition works will be done safely.
Correctly done work benefits everyone! Demolition work of asbestos and other hazardous materials must be done properly and in accordance with rules. The research report is based on visual observation, knowledge of the professionals, as well as material sample analyses. This report will be included to the property’s documentations and, if needed, it can be used in the future.
Meaning of the research
The use of asbestos survey and the preparation of the research is a very good tool for example in the following situations: It’s a good tool in case of water damage in a building. With a help of it we know which constructions to open, as well as how to dry it and proceed further. We already know in advance where hazardous materials are located in a building. This saves time and makes the drying process shorter. Based on the preliminary surveys, we already know how to proceed with demolition works.
Based on above mentioned facts, we can estimate what hazardous substances may be in a building, as well as, the price for the upcoming work.
Based on the surveys we can proceed with the project planning, as we know in advance what actions should be done. This way we save time and especially money and also the inhabitants can be informed about the upcoming actions in advance.
Methods of the research
Designated premises can be for example:
• Structures in a bathroom that will be demolished
• Structures in a kitchen
• Pipe renovations
• Rooftop renovations
• Other renovation works related to water damages
• Survey for a building is targeted to all types of premises.
• According to the needs, a survey can be expanded to include other hazardous materials, such as lead, heavy metals, PAH and PCB compounds.
• This survey includes outside materials and the rooftop materials of a building.
• In case of total demolition of a building, possibility of the utilisation of concrete materials will be tested.
Ways of taking material samples:
• The methods we use while taking materials samples are not creating any harm for the researcher and other people.
• Material samples will be determined by previously done surveys.
• The samples are taken from each layer of a material, this way we can determine all the possible hazardous materials from his sample.
• The equipment to use will be chosen according to the information we already have.
• If hazardous materials are found under the surface, then demolition works will be put on hold and more surveys will be done. We will take new material samples and analyse them.
Every premise has its own rules, that is why all the planning will be based on them.
Materials to research
• Heavy metals
• Utilisation of concrete
Text available only in Finnish.
Deodorisation requires usage of professional equipment. After demolition, depending on the problem, we may use different types of deodorisation techniques, examples of which are listed below.
Plasma ionisator is a deodorisation equipment, which creates singlet oxygen and small amount of ozone. This works like ozonator, but doesn’t include poisons.
Electrically charged molecules or atoms are often called ions and they are produces in the ionisation process. The process of ionisation is carried out with high-voltage ionisation needles. Electrons naturally repel each other, that is why pressure increases too high when the electrons reach the tip of the ionisation needle, so they “jump” to the nearest molecule of air. When attached to a floating molecule in the air, the electron reserves the molecule electrically, converting it into an ion.
Ozone is extremely carefully selected method, because if it is wrongly performed it will make more damage than use. Ozone is composed of three-atom oxygen molecules, when the breathable oxygen molecule contains two atoms. It takes away the oxygen from the air and also it destroys all known mould and yeast fungi, as well as, bacteria and viruses. When inhaled, ozone is a harmful compound, but when it is used properly, ozone is safe. During the ozonation the premises should not be entered, but it will quickly disappear if the windows are opened. After proper ventilation, facilities are available to use.
Ozonation is powerful and safe way to remove unwanted odours and allergens, such as tobacco, animal smells, mould, sewer, smell of death and musty smells. It is possible to remove smells from houses, cars, caravans, boats, etc. Ozone doesn’t contain any other substances than oxygen, as well as after ozonation there will be no chemical leftovers.
Dry smoke disinfection is used for example in mould removal, as well as all kinds of odour removals (cellar, smoke, sewer, cigarette). Mould and its spores can be removed by usage of oxidation and it is a very effective disinfection method. This method is used in water and mould damage renovations. In dry smoke disinfection it creates aerosol mist with destroys mould filaments and spores and this method is good to use in all possible premises. Dry smoke method is much more secure than for example ozonation.
Disinfection substance is spread to the air or straight to construction materials by Pulset Fogger Patriot dry smoke device. This device produces a very fine aerosol mass of 0.5-50 μm. This method doesn’t increase the moisture stress of the structures. It effectively goes inside the structures and destroys mould filaments and spores. On surfaces this mist creates a thin and invisible chemical membrane. This membrane binds microbes and mould spores and destroys them.
Mould and fiber cleaning/special cleanings
After repair works, it is recommended that indoor air problems are solved and that special cleaning of structures in premises is completed. Dust, mould dust, fiber and other different fiber cleanings are a big part of our work. Different kinds of hidden structures like dropped ceilings should be checked and cleaned properly. Always remember to clean the ventilation systems and also behind the cabinets, etc.
As a technology, we always use classified suction units, vacuum cleaners and other dust control equipment, all of which always have at least Hepa H13 class filters. For example, our suction units are classified M / H series class cleaners. We do special cleanings in under pressure areas and if necessary, we separate different areas into departments, in which dust management is easier to perform, as well as clean and dirty departments stay separate from each other.